13 March 2018
Hinman Consulting Engineers is a leader in designing structures to mitigate the effects of explosions and other extreme loads. We have been in business for the past 20 years, with offices in San Francisco, New York City, and Alexandria, VA. We work as a design sub-consultant on major infrastructure projects such as tunnels, airports and bridges. In addition, we also work extensively with federal government agency clients. Our firm is a designated as a Small Woman Owned Business with many state, local and federal entities.
The Project Accountant position is responsible for maintaining a steady, predictable flow of cash into the firm by monitoring the progress of projects, investigating variances to provide healthy financials for projects, and providing financial support to Project Managers and Senior staff. This position will be based in our San Francisco office.
The primary focus of these efforts will be in support of on our large projects. However, the Project Accountant will also responsible for monitoring all projects to ensure timely payment.
- B.A. Degree, preferably in Accounting or Business Administration
- 3-5 years of project accounting experience in a professional service firm, preferably an engineering or architecture firm.
- Understands contract terms as they relate to fee management.
- One to three years of experience with Deltek Vision software and Excel
- Strong organizational skills, high level of accuracy, and attention to detail
- Ability to effectively work in a high-volume environment with multiple tasks and deadlines
- Willingness to embrace new technologies and constantly strive for greater efficiencies through process or technology
- Since one of the major roles of this position is interfacing with Clients, Project Managers, and Senior Staff, the successful candidate will have a diplomatic and collaborative approach to communications.
- Partner closely with Project Managers and Financial Manager, establishing successful business relationships and providing accurate and consistent billing and financial reporting.
- Review project work, budgets, and staffing plans to ensure appropriate fee distribution for current and future work.
- Understand contract terms as it relates to fee management and be knowledgeable on standard contract terms, including time and material, lump sum, not-to-exceed and how they are applied in the billing process.
- Assist Project Managers in performing project start-up, due diligence, and following best practices throughout the project life cycle.
- Knowledge of the project structure in a client/consultant business environment.
- Provide accurate invoices to Clients per contract terms or work completed.
- Prepares billing backup support documents as required by contract or client.
- Coordinate consultant invoices and payment based from the project billing and payment schedule.
- Review project unbilled labor and expenses with Project Managers for accuracy and appropriateness.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period.
- Monitor Accounts Receivable and assist Project Managers with collection efforts.
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers and Senior Staff regarding contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications, approvals, and any additional services-related to billing.
- Monitor, analyze, and report on a variety of metrics for the firm.
- Provide training to Project Managers regarding financial maintenance of project
- Ability to work well with others under deadline situations and respond to changes in priorities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, set priorities and see projects through to completion.
- Employ problem-solving skills and analysis, and report problems to the Financial Manager, as necessary.
- Assess and pursue opportunities for maximization of client billing; communicate with the Financial Manager, as to your observations and actions taken.
- Prepare special project analyses for the senior staff and others.
- Maintain the billing folders for all projects, with all the appropriate documents, including expenses, consultant invoices, and monthly invoices, in accordance with standard procedures.
- Communicate and coordinate with the other offices.
- Strong service orientation