LOCATION: San Francisco, CA or Washington, D.C.
The company’s mission is to save lives and reduce injuries in explosion incidents by means of safe building design. Our firm specializes in the design of blast-resistant buildings, delivering cost-effective, architecturally pleasing designs to protect people against the effects of deliberate and accidental explosions. As a recognized leader in the field of failure analysis and prevention, we are committed to innovative solutions for safe design of both public and private facilities worldwide.
Highly experienced, licensed engineers and technical staff work together from our three offices nationwide to focus on blast threats, vulnerability assessments and mitigation design. Working closely with architects, engineers, security consultants, developers, owners and Government personnel, we provide clients with the highest level of individualized attention and service to develop customized, holistic solutions which solve their safety challenges.
Samplings of some of the exciting projects we have been involved with are:
- US Embassies in China, Russia, Uganda, and Nicaragua
- Federal Courthouses in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Diego, El Paso and Seattle
- Major bridges, tunnels, and power-plants
- Security Design Criteria development for the US Department of State, the US General Services Administration, a Fortune 50 high tech company, and the State of California
- Mission Critical Department of Defense facilities in Hawaii, Georgia, Maryland and Overseas
- Airport structures at John F Kennedy, Newark, La Guardia and Atlanta Hartsfield airports
We seek Managing Engineers who have proven project management, leadership, and technical abilities and who have provided supervision for small groups. Managing Engineers will have the opportunity to gain rapid status as experts in blast resistant and protective design.
The company has a history of promoting people from within based on their performance and ability to take on new challenges. Salary is commensurate with experience. We emphasize a life-work balance and offer a stimulating yet casual work environment with an excellent benefits package. The positions offer excellent growth potential to expand with a firm that has grown 322% since 2001 and has projected similar future growth while expanding into new markets.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform and oversee the analysis and design of structures to mitigate the effects of explosive loading. Performing dynamic non-linear analysis using single/multiple-degree-of-freedom and finite element methods with in-house and commercially available software platforms
- Develop mitigating measures to enhance life-safety and operational continuity objectives, with attention to maintaining architectural integrity, building accessibility, constructability, and cost controls
- Work with project design and security teams to create thoughtful and integrated solutions designed to meet multiple purposes
- Prepare high quality reports which are well written, technically accurate, and with clear graphics summarizing results
- Perform project management tasks including fee proposal development, invoicing, supervising technical staff, and interacting with clients
- Business development geared toward forwarding the overall goals of the firm in areas which are consistent with personal interests and strengths
- Travel for site visits and meetings on average about 5 days per month
- Licensed Structural/Civil Engineer
- 10 years structural experience with buildings
- Technical experience in structural dynamics, failure analysis, retrofit design, ductile detailing
- Strong personal project portfolio including Government work and/or major office building projects
- Management experience including employee supervision
- Blast effects analysis experience
- Technical experience with Matlab, MathCAD, SAP2000, DYNA3D, AutoCAD, and AutoLISP is a plus
- Active participation in national level committees in professional associations
- Public speaking and/or teaching experience
Skills: the successful candidate will have exhibit high level capabilities in the following skill areas:
- Project management
- Problem solving
- Verbal and written communications
- Client communications
- Highly self-motivated
Abilities: the successful candidate will have a proven track-record showing the following abilities:
- Management of multiple projects simultaneously
- Effective client presentations
- Teamwork (project teams as well as information sharing)
Required: Master’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
Competitive salary, bonus program, an attractive benefits package, paid time off, career development opportunities, tuition assistance, and a 401(k) retirement savings program with relocation assistance as required.
Our engineers work in a highly collaborative dynamic environment and have access to the latest design criteria, software, testing and research information and technologies which allow them to work on high-profile, important projects which not only meet specific project goals, but which enhance the safety and security of people around the world.
The firm knows that we are only as strong as the abilities of our engineers and we therefore encourage and support continuing education and career enhancement opportunities.
Due to the nature of our work and client list, the successful candidate will be able to obtain a Government Security Clearance.